Have you participated in a youth sports program, enjoyed a round of golf at one or our award winning golf courses, attended a class at one or our Recreation Centers, or spent a fun afternoon with the family in one or our parks? We want to see the Dallas Park and Recreation Department through your eyes. Dallas Park and Recreation Department invites all photographers, both amateur and professional, to share your best original photos taken at any City of Dallas Park and Recreation park, recreation center, program, or event. Share your experience and love of Dallas Park and Rec. programs, parks, and facilities by submitting a photo in the Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s photo contest. Winning photos will be published in the Dallas Parks Annual Report as well as other Park and Recreation promotional materials, social media and department presentations.
- Entries must be submitted between May 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019. Contest ends on June 30, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (US Central Time).
- Photo must be taken at a Dallas Park and Recreation park, facility, program, or event.
- Entrants may submit unlimited entries (one photo per entry form)
- All photographs must have been taken within the past two years to be considered.
- The contest is open to the public, except for Dallas Park and Recreation employees.
- Images should be high resolution of at least 3.2 million pixels (3.2 megapixels) or greater / a minimum of 300 dpi. Resolution can be calculated by multiplying the pixel width of the image with the pixel height. For example, a setting of 2000 x 1600 pixels = 3.2 megapixels. If unsure of setting, set camera to highest quality available or image resolution of at least 2016 x 3040 on SmartPhones.
- Must be JPG or JPEG format. Formats not accepted include gif, png, and bmp.
- Photo must be taken within Dallas city limits and within a park or recreation facility listed here.
- Photos cannot be altered in any way utilizing Photoshop or comparable programs. Image orientation may be portrait or landscape.
- Photos can be in color or black and white.
- Photo subjects can be all ages. Photographs will be judged based on overall impact, originality / creativity, technical excellence, and artistic merit.
- Do not place a watermark on any photos.
- All photos must be original work of the contest and never been the subject of a copyright or previously published.
- Images that do not meet these requirements may or may not be judged at the judging panel's sole discretion.
- All entries are accepted online at DallasParks.org. No print photo entries accepted.
- Each entry must be accompanied by the Photo Contest Entry Form.
- A Media Release form is required for identifiable individuals in a submitted photo. If you choose to include close-up shots of people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted.
- Entrant represents and warrants that the submitted entry is an original, non-published work that does not infringe the rights or intellectual property claims of any third parties.
- By entering the 2019 Dallas Park and Recreation Department photo contest, you grant The City of Dallas and Dallas Park and Recreation Department a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to publish the image(s) in any format, including the Dallas Park and Recreation Departments website, social media accounts, and printed publications and agree that Dallas Park and Recreation Department may use submitted photos and images for the purpose of publicizing and marketing City activities and programs.
- City reserves the right to reassign entry to alternate category or reject entries based on criteria.
- The City reserves the right to reject any entry deemed not suitable for consideration due to objectionable content such as the use of profanity, nudity, drug, alcohol, tobacco use or cruelty to persons or animals.
- By entering, participants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the City of Dallas and the Park and Recreation Department, its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and representatives, from any all third party liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the competition (collectively, “Losses”), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Dallas Park and Recreation Department reserves the right to make any changes to the rules and/or to the contest at any time.
- The judges appointed by the Parks and Recreation Department shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by the judges are final. Photograph entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Overall impact
- Technical excellence
- Artistic merit
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE. A people’s choice winner will be selected based on the most votes collected during the people’s choice voting period (2/1/19 - 2/15/19). Voting will be available on our Facebook and Instagram Pages after the contest closes. Photos will be placed on DPARD Social Media pages by the Social Media Coordinator.
- All Winners will be announced on the Dallas Park and Recreation social media pages and website on February 25,2019.
Category A: Park and Recreation Facilities – We’re looking for stunning photos that showcase Dallas Park and Recreation’s facilities (except trails – see Category B). Photos may include people using and enjoying the facilities. Examples may include:
- Parks – Dallas Park and Recreation Department manages over 350 parks. A list can be found on the Park Directory web page.
- Facilities within an outdoor park, such as the spraygrounds, a park playground or shelter, Skate Park, fishing lake, etc.
- Outdoor sports complexes, such as Kiest Softball Complex, Moneygram Soccer Park, etc. A list of sports fields and complexes can be found on the Facilities web page.
- Aquatic facilities – Parks and Recreation manages two indoor and five outdoor aquatic facilities. A list can be found the Aquatic Facilities web page.
- Indoor recreation facilities (exterior, or the facilities inside), such as Bachman Indoor Pool, the indoor soccer fields at Pleasant Oaks Recreation Center, etc.
Category B: Trails – We’re looking for photos that demonstrate the appealing facets of Dallas Park and Recreation’s trails. Photos may include people using the trails. We’re interested in photos from all seasons and trail users in various modes of transportation – walking, running, bicycling, wheeling, etc. See our Trail Directory web page for a comprehensive list of Trails.
Category C: Recreation Programs, Sports, Events, and Classes – We’re looking for photos of people enjoying programs, sports, events, or classes that are hosted by the Park andRecreation Department. A “best photo” might also be a great action shot or one that demonstrates the scope or captures the spirit of an event (Close-up photos of people should be entered under Category D).
Category D: Faces and Activities – We’re looking for eye-catching, close-up photos of people that show their facial expressions and emotions as they are engaged in or enjoying a parks and recreation activities. (Make sure you obtain a Media Release form from the subject person)
Category E: Landscape, Wildlife, and Nature – We’re looking for beautiful photos of the natural areas, woods, trees, or wildlife on park lands managed by Dallas Park and Recreation Department. Landscaping photos may also include the formal landscape beds in our parks and flowers maintained by the Park and Recreation Department.
Prizes will be awarded for 1st – 3rd in each of the 5 categories. There will also be one “Grand Prize” winner and a “People’s Choice” winner. Winners are scheduled to be announced on 2/25/19 via the Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s website and social media pages. Winners will be contacted via email. All winning photographs will be displayed on the Dallas Park and Recreation website (DallasParks.org) and may also be used in various publications marketing pieces. Prizes must be claimed at the Dallas Park and Recreation Department office.
First, Second, and Third Prizes will be awarded in all five contest categories:
- First Prize – $75 Amazaon Gift Card and 4 Arboretum Tickets, 6 month Fitness Pass to Recreation Center of their choosing.
- Second Prize – $50 Snooze Eatery Gift Card, 4 Arboretum Tickets, 3 month Fitness Pass to Recreation Center of their choosing
- Third Prize – $25 La Madeline Gift Card and 4 Arboretum Tickets & 1 month Fitness Pass to the Recreation Center of their choosing.
People’s Choice Award:
1 year Universal Fitness Membership ($250 value)
Grand Prize (Chosen from any of the five contest categories)
- $100 Michael's Gift Card
- 4 Arboretum tickets
- 6 Month fitness pass to the Recreation Center of their choosing.