Get ready to unlock a lifetime of discovery this July with the Dallas Park and Recreation Department and the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA).
Since 1985, America has celebrated July as the nation’s official Park and Recreation Month. Created by NRPA, Park and Recreation Month specifically highlights the vital and powerful role local parks and recreation, such as Dallas Park and Recreation Department, play in conservation, health and wellness, and social equity efforts in communities all across the country.
This year, it’s all about highlighting the unique — and sometimes unknown — offerings of your local parks and recreation facilities. From STEM programming to innovative health and wellness opportunities, your Dallas parks and recreation facilities have a wide variety of beneficial programs. Dallas Park and Recreation Department is leading initiatives and providing opportunities for people of all ages to achieve healthier lifestyles, promote and understand nature and conservation as well as bringing the community closer through a variety of programs and services. NRPA and Dallas Park and Recreation are encouraging everyone to get out there and discover everything that is offered at their local parks and rec facilities!
We are celebrating July is Park and Recreation Month with a photo contest highlighting the variety of activities, programs, and facilities we have to offer! To participate, post photos of various activities that are listed in our Park and Rec. Month Calendar to Instagram and use #DiscoverDallasParks and #DiscoverJuly for a chance to win fun Park and Recreation prizes. There will be two weekly winners. The person with the most pictures and the picture with the most likes! Prizes include, free fitness center passes, Bahama Beach tickets, Southern Skate Passes, and Arboretum tickets!
31 activities to discover in July with
the Dallas Park and Recreation Department
(Most activities can be done anytime throughout the month. Activities with an (*) next to it are date specific!)
- Stay cool and discover all the fun to be had at Bahama Beach! http://bahamabeachdallas.com/
- Play Tennis at one of our 5 full service Tennis Centers or other courts around the city! https://www.dallasparks.org/281/Tennis-Centers
- Visit the Dallas Arboretum enjoy the “Wind Sculptures in Motion: the Kinetic Art of Lyman Whitaker” before its gone! www.dallasarboretum.org/lymanwhitaker
- *Attend America’s Birthday Celebration at Fair Park Fourth https://tx-dallasparks.civicplus.com/Calendar.aspx?EID=1281
- Visit some of our Downtown Parks like Belo Gardens, Main Street Gardens, or Klyde Warren! https://www.dallasparks.org/243/Downtown-Parks
- Play on one of our 11 spraygrounds - http://www.dallasaquatics.org/132/Spraygrounds
- *Discover Safari Nights at the Dallas Zoo. Enjoy a day with all the animals and then stay for a special concert and after-hours programming! https://www.dallaszoo.com/exhibits-experiences/safarinights/?utm_source=TFWSL&utm_medium=SL&utm_campaign=SN
- Discover all
the amenities of Bachman Lake. Enjoy the beautiful lakeside trail, all
inclusive playground, or rent the pavilion for a group event. https://www.dallasparks.org/230/Bachman-Lake
- Visit the Trinity River Audubon Center and discover nature at its finest! http://www.dallasparks.org/233/Trinity-River-Audubon-Center
- Make a splash at one of 14 community pools. Show us your best cannon ball or handstand and don’t forget to wear your sunscreen! http://dallasaquatics.org/
- *Come out to Fair Park for some Free Art in the Park followed by a movie under the stars. https://www.dallasparks.org/Calendar.aspx?EID=1259
- Take a martial Arts class at one of our recreation centers. https://www.dallasparks.org/192/Other
- *Witness some of Dallas Park and Recreation’s elite boxers compete for title belts during Battle in Big D (July 13-15). https://www.dallasparks.org/calendar.aspx?EID=1250
- Visit on of our two Disc Golf Courses and discover
the sights and sounds of our beautiful parks while hitting your target! https://www.dallasparks.org/209/Disc-Golf-Course
- Find a challenging skateboard course at Lakeland Hills Skate Park. Skaters can enjoy the thrills of down ramps, rails, and quarterpipes. https://www.dallasparks.org/213/Skate-Park
- Discover the variety of activities available to our Seniors with our Active Senior Adult Program at all of our Recreation Centers. Show us what your groups are doing today! http://www.dallasparks.org/453/Senior-Programs
- Texas heat shouldn’t stop your fitness routine. Work out in the air conditioned comfort of one of our 38 Fitness Centers. http://www.dallasparks.org/140/Fitness-Centers
- Discover happiness by taking your four-legged friends to one of our four off leash dog parks. https://www.dallasparks.org/145/Dog-Parks
- Discover the wonder of Fair Park where one fun thing leads to another. Visit the museums or take a ride on the paddle boats on the lagoon. https://www.dallasparks.org/242/Fair-Park
- *Visit Tietze Pool for our Dive In Movie of Cars 3! (7/20) http://www.dallasaquatics.org/Calendar.aspx?EID=94
- Play on the playground of one of our 397 parks. Discover which playground is your favorite! https://www.dallasparks.org/427/Park-Listings
- Ride your bike on any of the 158 developed trail miles around Dallas. https://www.dallasparks.org/149/Trails
- Discover the history of Dallas parks at some of our more historic landmarks. Find buildings constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps and parks dating back over 100 years. https://www.dallasparks.org/260/Historic-Sites
- Discover the beauty of the parks around you and post a picture of the sunset in your park.
- Play a round of golf at one of our 6 award winning courses. https://www.dallasparks.org/143/Golf-Courses
- Discover your true talent in one of our performing arts classes. Everything from dance to theater. https://www.dallasparks.org/423/Arts
- Roll on over to Southern Skates Roller Rink
where you are sure to have a great time while getting in a little exercise in
- *Discover what Volunteer opportunities are available by attending our “Get Connected” community meeting this morning at Samuell Grand Recreation Center https://tx-dallasparks.civicplus.com/calendar.aspx?EID=1285
- Visit white rock lake and go paddle boarding or have a picnic and play on the playgrounds. So much to discover! https://www.dallasparks.org/235/White-Rock-Lake
- Discover the variety of fitness classes available across the City at our 43 Recreation Centers. https://www.dallasparks.org/289/Fitness
- Show us your favorite discovery with the Dallas Park and Recreation Department!